Saturday, August 21, 2010

Dear Ward Choir

I think about you all the time. I love all you people that take time out of your schedule to be there so we can help bring the Spirit to the ward through music.

Actually, I even had a dream about you last night. Except it was more like a nightmare.

Tomorrow we are singing "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need" in church.

Following is last night's dream:

When I arrived at church, the opening hymn was "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need." I thought, really? Who chooses the opening song so that it is the same as the one the choir will be singing in the middle of the meeting?

When I got up there to direct it, it wasn't my choir at all, but the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Except there were NO men in the choir. Furthermore, while half the sheet music copies were the correct lyrics (ie: My shepherd will supply my need, Jehovah is his name), half of the sheet music copies had been changed (ie: My need will be supplied by my shepherd. His name is Jehovah). Therefore, the words were completely muddled throughout.

I had also forgotten to specify who would be playing the flute part in this dream. I had just said, "And if anybody wants to play the flute part on Sunday, go ahead and bring your flute." Therefore, 75% of this all-female choir pulled out flutes of all varieties, including bass flutes, and played the flute part.

The result: A huge all-women choir with half the singers singing the wrong words and about 50 flute players overpowering the voices. Awful awful awful!!!

The funny thing is that this dream recognized all my fears: no men showing up, people not being able to understand the words, and the flute accompaniment being too loud.

Do you think I am taking my calling too seriously???

And for those that just googled "ward choir" and "calling" hoping to find some advice on music and not just some bizarre dream, I will list what we've done so far for your benefit.

"Amazing Grace" Arr. Craig Courtney
"Come Thou Fount" Arr. Craig Courtney
"I Feel My Savior's Love" Arr. K. Newell Dayley
"He Sent His Son" Arr. Barlow Bradford
"My Shepherd Will Supply My Need" Mack Wilberg
"A Child's Prayer" Janice Kapp Perry
"Hymns of Love Medley"
"Abide With Me" Arr. Sally DeFord
"Beautiful Savior" Arr. Sally DeFord
"As I Search the Holy Scriptures" Arr. Larry R. Beebe
"Angels We Have Heard on High" Arr. John Carter
"Still Still Still" Arr. Norman Luboff
"O Holy Night" Arr. Peter Stone
"What Child Is This?" Arr. Robert P. Manookin
"Do You Hear What I Hear?" Arr. Harry Simeone
"Carol of the Bells" Arr. Peter J. Wilhousky
"The Lord is My Light" Arr. James C. Kasen
"Consider the Lilies" Roger Hoffman, Arr. A. Laurence Lyon
"I Know that My Redeemer Lives" Arr. Lynn S. Lund
"Did You See Him in the Garden?" Shawn M. Stringham, Lynn S. Lund
"Surely He Has Borne Our Griefs" Joseph M. Martin

No comments: