Monday, December 15, 2008

Death by Hot Pink Bug!!!

While I'm on the subject of insects...

Having lived in Africa for nearly two years, I thought I would have seen my share of interesting insects. But this one terrifies me like no other!!! It was discovered last year in Southeast Asia.

I bet you weren't expecting THIS!!!


It is three centimeters long and hot pink!

Don't be fooled by the petite pinkness! It shoots hydrogen cyanide, which was used for genocide in World War II (Zyklon B). In all fairness, hydrogen cyanide is also released from cassava, used to develop photographs, and many other things. The bug is so small it probably only kills other bugs. And considering hydrogen cyanide is a popular insecticide, I'd venture a guess it only wants to kill other bugs.

But still, I wouldn't want to tangle with the 3 cm long Shocking Pink Dragon Millipede!

3 comments:

Gabe said...

Hmmm. Do these guys hire themselves out in mass numbers as mercenaries perchance?

Mac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mac said...

This Blog is creepy!!!
It sends a chill down my spine already. I barely saw the centipedes, and sensing a cockroach below I decided to divert to comments to cool off.

That reminds me of a giant vampire centipede I had to deal with in College biology. The sight of which paralyzes me. I guess that's partly responsible for re-plotting my medical route to infoTech.